Complications in the Bariatric Surgery Patient
When patients present in the Emergency Department with bariatric surgery related complications, general surgeons and ED physicians may need to address complications without support from a bariatric surgeon. This 30 minute online module will help you identify bariatric surgery related complications and then plan a course of action (up to and including when to call in a bariatric surgeon).
General Surgeons and Emergency Department Physicians
Upon completion of the activity, participants should be able to:
- Identify common bariatric surgical emergencies
- Evaluate a bariatric patient in the emergency department
- Understand the surgical management of life-threatening complications
James Rydlewicz, MD; Aurora Health Care
John Newman, MD; Aurora Health Care
Peter Garza MD; Aurora Health Care
It is the policy of Aurora Health Care Office of Continuing Education to ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all of its sponsored education activities. All participating faculty, course directors, and planning committee members are required to disclose to the program audience any financial relationships related to the subject matter of this program. Disclosure information is reviewed in advance in order to manage and resolve any possible conflicts of interest. All faculty and planning committee members have attested that their financial relationships do not affect their ability to present well-balanced evidence-based content for this activity. Specific disclosure information for each course faculty will be shared with the audience prior to the faculty’s presentation.
No faculty, presenters, planners, or anyone controlling content have any relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 0.50 AttendanceAttendance Credit
This course is available to Aurora Health Care providers (employed and independent) and caregivers only. If you are not already logged in, please use "Aurora Login" to access the course. If you need help enrolling or logging in, please contact the Aurora CPD Office at CPDDepartment@aurora.org or at (414) 219-5490.