Aurora Lung Cancer Screening Program and Thoracic Specialty Svs Overview
Our Aurora Lung Cancer Screening program was launched as a critical component of our Cancer Program to increase early detection and also to support tobacco cessation efforts. Initially it was offered as a self-referral low cost screening. The program was expanded when the Affordable Care Act and Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services covered it as a preventative services benefit in January 2015. We currently have 9 program locations throughout Eastern WI. Our program submits blinded patient data to the American College of Radiology Lung Cancer Data Registry as part of Medicare reimbursement. In September 2018 a dedicated team (Team) of two nurses and one data support specialist was hired to focus on increasing awareness of the LDCT LCSP and criteria for eligibility, improving tobacco history taking and pack year documentation in the EHR, increasing smoking cessation counseling and referral, and facilitate presentation of all Lung RADS category 4 cases for review at one of our two Multidisciplinary Lung Cancer Case Conferences. The Program has standardized the management of key incidental findings for coronary artery calcification, non-lung masses, thoracic aortic aneurysm, and critical pulmonary conditions. All 9 program sites have been named a Screening Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance. Our patient volumes are: In 2016, 1849 LDCT Screenings were performed, 4701 (154% increase) in 2017 and 7154 (52.5% increase) in 2018. Cancer Detection rates were 1.3% in 2016, 1.8% in 2017 and 1.3% for January-June 2018. Cancer registry data reports a 9% increase in Stage 0, 1, 2A and a 7.2% decrease in Stage IV at time of diagnosis from 2014-2017.
This course is intended for Primary Care Clinicians, Pulmonologists & their Nurses/MAs
At the end of this session, learners should be able to:
- Identify appropriate patients for Low Dose Chest Tomography (LDCT) Lung Cancer Screening
- Understand the Lung Imaging Reporting and Data System (Lung-RADS) for LDCT lung cancer screenings and recommendations for follow up testing
- Perform an accurate smoking history & document an accurate up to date tobacco pack year history in Epic.
- Recognize patients with Lung-Rads category 4 results will undergo review at an Aurora Health Care (AHC) Multidisciplinary conference
- Describe and access appropriate pulmonology and thoracic surgery consult services to support patients with LDCT lung cancer screening abnormal findings that require intervention.
Course Directors: Steven Leh, MD; AdvocateAurora Health, William Tisol, MD; AdvocateAurora Health
Daniel Malone, MD; AdvocateAurora Health
David Demos, MD; AdvocateAurora Health
James Weese ,MD; AdvocateAurora Health
Laurie Dlouhy, RN; AdvocateAurora Health
Marija Bjegovich-Weidman, RN; AdvocateAurora Health
Amy Bock RN, Sr Director; AdvocateAurora Health
Anne Weers RN, Director; AdvocateAurora Health
Jody Wesolowski, Data Specialist; AdvocateAurora Health
It is the policy of Aurora Health Care Office of Continuing Education to ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all of its sponsored education activities. All participating faculty, course directors, and planning committee members are required to disclose to the program audience any financial relationships related to the subject matter of this program. Disclosure information is reviewed in advance in order to manage and resolve any possible conflicts of interest. All faculty and planning committee members have attested that their financial relationships do not affect their ability to present well-balanced evidence-based content for this activity. Specific disclosure information for each course faculty will be shared with the audience prior to the faculty’s presentation.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Aurora Health Care is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Aurora Health Care designates this activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 AttendanceAttendance Credit