MOC Part IV: Independent Quality Improvement Project
Have you started or completed a quality improvement project within the last year? Submit your independent quality improvement project for MOC Part IV credit using this program!
By enrolling in this program, you'll be able to submit your project to the CPD Office for MOC Part IV. After verifying completion of all requirements and active participation, the CPD Office will review and forward the attestation to the American Board of Medical Specialties who will then transfer the completion records to your certifying board(s). It takes about 5 weeks for ABMS to notify your Board(s) and 3-5 weeks for your Board(s) to recognize the project.
There are some basic tenants of QI that must be included to grant MOC for QI projects:
- The project should improve patient care. To qualify for QI MOC through the ABMS Multi-Specialty Portfolio Program, participants must be engaged in a systematic effort of reviewing and improving some aspect(s) of care or care delivery for their patients.
- The project must be recent and be sustained over a period of time. There is not a minimum time requirement, but most QI projects will run between 6-12 months. There must be enough time to apply your efforts and measure the impact of the effort. We can only accept projects that have been initiated within the last year.
- The project must have two or more linked QI cycles (i.e. plan-do-study-act PDSA). When you submit your project for MOC Part IV using this program, you will be asked to:
- 1st QI cycle: Collect baseline data, identify underlying cause, plan intervention to address underlying cause, apply intervention
- 2nd QI cycle: Collect post-intervention data, analysis/review progress, identify necessary adjustment(s) for continued improvement, apply adjustment(s)
- Reflection: Collect post-adjustment data, reflect on progress
You may use this checklist to ensure you have all of the information you need in order to submit your project (link also available at the bottom of this page). You will be asked to upload the documentation you used to track your progress. Resources for your documentation are available here and at the bottom of this page and include run charts, A3, tick and tally, Care Management Metrics, etc.
- Participants must demonstrate active participation in the QI effort. This includes providing thoughtful reflection responses, actively discussing what you have learned with peers and/or team members, and submitting accurate data.
The CPD Office reviews each submission and maintains the authority to decline credit for any project that is incomplete, does not meet the standards for MOC Part IV, and/or does not demonstrate active participation. Note that participating ABMS Member Board MOC fees, if applicable, must be current for the physician to receive MOC Part IV credit.
This program is not accredited for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
Aurora Health Care has been approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) as a Multi-Specialty Portfolio Provider (MSPP). This allows Aurora Health Care to award Maintenance of Certification Part IV credits to those participants in a quality improvement project who demonstrate active participation in a quality improvement activity. Note that participating ABMS Member Board MOC fees, if applicable, must be current for the physician to receive MOC Part IV credit.
Aurora's Continuing Professional Development Office reviews each submission and maintains the authority to decline credit for any project that is incomplete, does not meet the standards for MOC Part IV, and/or does not demonstrate active participation.
The following ABMS Boards will accept this project for the MOC Part IV Requirement:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Genetics and Genomics
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Preventive Medicine
- Psychiatry and Neurology
- Thoracic Surgery
If you are certified by more than one board, this project may meet multiple MOC Part IV requirements.
ABMS Member Board Participation and Recognition for MOC Part IV MOC Portfolio Program Credit Offered.pdf
- 1.00 MOC Part IV ProjectAurora Health Care has been approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties as a portfolio provider for Part IV Credits towards Maintenance of Certification. This applies only to those Boards participating in the MSPP Program. Check with your certifying Board for specifics. Any fees relating to Board Certification still apply.
Enrolling in this activity will allow you to submit a quality improvement project for MOC Part IV credit. By enrolling in this activity, you understand that Aurora's Continuing Professional Development Office maintains the authority to decline credit for any project that is incomplete, does not meet the standards for MOC Part IV, and/or does not indicate active participation.
Submissions are accecpted from Aurora Health Care providers (employed and independent) only. If you are not already logged in, please use "Aurora Login" to access the course. If you need help enrolling or logging in, please contact the Aurora CPD Office at CPDDepartment@aurora.org or at (414) 219-5490.